The Australian Health Promotion Association (AHPA), the Northern Territory Chronic Diseases Network (CDN) and the Northern Territory Medicare Local (NTML) are partnering to jointly deliver the 22nd AHPA National Conference and the 18th Annual CDN Conference in Alice Springs between 4-5th September 2014.
The theme of the conference is ‘Equity @ the Centre: Action on Social Determinants of Health’. The focus on equity aims to demonstrate the centrality of fairness and social justice as principles that underpin contemporary health promotion, prevention and comprehensive primary health care activities and system reforms across Australia. The focus on social determinants of health responds to the growing national and global evidence and commentary acknowledging the need for action in this area. The Conference will bring a sharper focus and debate about how these concepts are intertwined and how this translates into practice.
The main aim of the conference is to support conference participant’s to develop and/or build their understanding and knowledge of strategies to improve health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Objectives include:
- To increase conference participants understanding of strategies to build health equity through action on the social determinants of health;
- To increase an understanding of the role that action on social determinants of health plays in enhancing comprehensive primary health care in Australia;
- To share an emerging evidence-base in relation to action on the social determinants of health in Australia, particularly in the context of health promotion and chronic disease prevention and management programs and systems;
- To increase the potential of health promotion and chronic disease programs and systems to improve population health outcomes across Australia, particularly in relation to Indigenous and other priority populations;
- To provide a national forum for people with an interest in health promotion and chronic disease prevention and management to network, learn, and share stories about promoting health equity;
- To increase conference participants understanding about working with sectors outside of the health system to enhance health promotion and chronic disease prevention and management effort across Australia.
We have already confirmed the following keynote speakers:
- Professor Sharon Friel - Professor Health Equity, Australian National University
- Dr Suvajee Good - Program Coordinator, Social Determinants of Health, World Health Organisation, New Delhi, India
- Dr Shelley Bowen - Senior Public Health Advisor, Prevention and Population Health, Department of Health Victoria
- Professor Rolf Gerritsen - Professorial Research Fellow, The Northern Institute, Charles Darwin University, Alice Springs
- Mr Darryl Day - Executive Director Energy Policy, Department of Mines and Energy Northern Territory Government
- Mr Paul Pholeros AM – Architect and Director of Healthabitat
- Dr Anne Lowell - Principal Research Fellow, Charles Darwin University
- Dr Lawurrpa Maypilama - Research Fellow, Charles Darwin University
- Mr Martin Laverty - Chief Executive Officer, Catholic Health Australia
- Ms Pat Anderson, Chairperson of Lowitja Institute as the Australian Health Promotion Association Eberhard Wenzel Orator
The Conference website can be found via www.equitycentre.com.au
quitycentre.com.au/Tem ww.cdnconference.com.au ww.cdnconference.com.au